The Bauhaus Archive Museum of Design, in Berlin, collects art pieces, items, documents and literature which relate to the Bauhaus School (1919-1933), one of the most influential schools of architecture, design, and art of the 20th century and puts them on public display. Photo © totalstranger
Five of Peter #Behrens assistants in 1908 (from left) #Mies van der Rohe, Meyer, Hertwig, Weyrather (behind), Krämer, #Gropius (with plans).
Even before the The Masters‘ Houses and the Bauhaus building itself were included on the #
UNESCO World Heritage List because of their unique cultural heritage there had been a world wide interest in the buildings designed by Walter Gropius.
Now the restoration and rebuilding of the historical buildings has been completed it is possible once again to get a complete impression of the ensemble, despite the fact that two of the original seven buildings are no longer there.
Photo © Ralph Graef
Tel Aviv’s City of White and the Birth of Bauhaus in Palestine. Zina Circle, Tel Aviv-Jaffa, 1937. Architect – Genia Averbouch
Tel Aviv („The White City“) Bauhaus Architecure (Vintage Photos). Not all of it looks Bauhaus, but you can see how the city looked during the 1930’s/1940’s, when many German-born Jewish architects (trained in Bauhaus) were settling into the city and making their impression on the city’s architecture.
The Bauhaus was forced to close down in 1933 due to pressure from the Nazis. However, its ideas continued to spread all over the world along with the emigrating Bauhaus members – to the USA, Switzerland, Russia, and many other countries.
In the USA, Josef Albers became a respected art teacher at Black Mountain College (Asheville, North Carolina), which at times regarded itself as a successor to the Bauhaus. In 1937, László Moholy-Nagy founded the New Bauhaus in Chicago, which took up the educational programme developed in Weimar and Dessau by Walter Gropius and developed it further. Photography now played a more important part than it had earlier. The methodology of the New Bauhaus was adopted and modified by many other American colleges. This played a role in pushing back the Beaux Arts tradition that had predominated in the USA up to that time. In addition, the emigré former Bauhaus Directors Walter Gropius, Professor at the Graduate School of Design at Harvard University, and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Director of the Department of Architecture at the Armour Institute in Chicago, contributed to the further spread of Bauhaus thought in their work and teaching.
Two of the brightest minds from the past century. Walter Gropius and Mies van der Rohe, Harvard Graduate School of Design ca. 1945.