The Glass House

The #Glass #House or #Johnson house, is a #historic house #museum at 798-856 Ponus Ridge Road in New Canaan, #Connecticut. Built in 1949, it was designed by Philip Johnson as his own residence, and „universally viewed as having been derived from“ the #Farnsworth House design, according to Alice T. Friedman. Johnson curated an exhibit of #Mies van der #Rohe work at the Museum of #Modern Art in 1947, featuring a model of the glass Farnsworth House. It was an important and influential project for Johnson and for modern #architecture. The building is an essay in minimal #structure, #geometry, #proportion, and the effects of #transparency and #reflection. The estate includes other buildings designed by Johnson that span his career. It was designated a #National #Historic #Landmark in 1997. It is now owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and is open to the public for guided tours, which begin at a visitors center at 199 Elm Street in New #Canaan.

Advertisements

Kommentar verfassen

Trage deine Daten unten ein oder klicke ein Icon um dich einzuloggen:

WordPress.com-Logo

Du kommentierst mit Deinem WordPress.com-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Twitter-Bild

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Twitter-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Facebook-Foto

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Facebook-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Google+ Foto

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Google+-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Verbinde mit %s